Klonopin is the medication that is taken to treat Seizure disorder and panic attacks in a person. The active ingredient in the drug is called as Clonazepam and it belongs to the benzodiazepine group. The onset of action of Klonopin is within an hour and the biological half-life is fifteen to fifty hours.
How Klonopin works?
The active ingredient in this medication is known to work in the best way. Seizure disorder and panic attacks are caused due to certain imbalanced natural chemicals present in the central nervous system. When Klonopin is taken, it converts these chemicals from imbalanced state to the balanced one. Due to this, the occurrence of these ailments gets reduced.
What are the dosage strengths available in Klonopin medication?
This drug is available in different dosage strengths such as 1mg and 2mg. The dose would vary from one person to another based on their needs.
In a case of adults, the initial dose would be 1mg for a single day. Later examining the body after the intake of the first dose a doctor would increase from 4mg to 8mg for a day. It is highly advised to follow your doctor prescribed Klonopin dosage.
Children whose age is between 1 and 5 should not take Klonopin dose more than 250mg in a day. Pediatric patients whose age is above five and below 12 should not administer the medication above 500mg per day.
During the treatment, the change in the dosage strength should be made only with the help of a physician.
The medication should be taken in divided doses. In most cases, it would be in three to four equal portions. The course duration would be just two to three weeks. Take the pills by mouth. Always halt the treatment at a slower manner after decreasing the dosage strength. Never suddenly stop taking the pills as it would cause withdrawal symptoms.
What should be done if you miss a dose?
Missing a dose of Klonopin is very much easy. We have mentioned earlier to take the drug at equal portions with an equal time interval. If you have missed a dose then you can see the time for the next scheduled dose. In case, the time is very close to the intake of another dose then it is recommended to quit taking the missed one. Apart from this, it is very important not to take both the doses together as it would lead to a drug overdose. The patients who mistakenly overdosed should get medical help soon.
Side effects triggered by Klonopin
Ill effects might happen in a patient who is taking this medication. The occurrence and the severity of the side effects vary from one person to another. Here, we have mentioned some of the minor and major ill effects.
Minor side effects:
- Trouble while sleeping
- Ear congestion
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Nasal congestion
- Being forgetful
- Sore throat
- Frequently urinating
Major side effects:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Worsening of seizure
- Thoughts about hurting yourself
- Increase in the heartrate
Klonopin medication would also interact with other drugs. Some of them are mentioned here. Antihistamines, other anxiety medications, muscle relaxants, narcotic pain relievers, muscle relaxer and cough medication. To avoid the interactions caused by Klonopin with other drugs then it is essential to mention all the pills that you are taking currently like the prescription, over the counter, herbal supplements, and diet pills.
- Ensure that your doctor knows about all your medical ailments like kidney problem, liver disease, heart conditions and history of mental illnesses.
- Pregnant women or those who are nursing a child should avoid taking Klonopin drug.
- Never consume alcohol while on treatment.
- Store the pills at a proper place in a tight container avoiding excessive heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Check whether the active ingredient is appropriate for your health to avoid any allergic reactions.
- Keep the drug away from pets and children.
- You are not supposed to share the Klonopin pills with anyone even if they suffer either from seizure disorder or panic attacks.
- Never take the medication for a longer period as it would cause habit forming nature in a person.
- It is not recommended to self-treat your medical ailment with this medication as it would be hazardous to your health.
Choose a genuine online pharmacy to purchase Klonopin. Here are some tips: http://www.worldhomeremedies.com/tips-for-choosing-an-authentic-online-pharmacy-to-purchase-klonopin/